Custom Pages

August 19, 2015

Wedding Week: Reception | {Kali}

August 19, 2015


Today I wanted to share all about our reception! We held our reception in the Yellowstone Ballroom at Wilderness Ridge. See more photos of the reception decor in my first post.













After the ceremony, we had a cocktail hour in the reception room. During this time, the wedding party took a few more photos, then joined everyone inside. We walked in to "You and I" by Lady Gaga (something about my cool Nebraska guy ;)).













Immediately after we entered, we went straight to cutting the cake. It made the most sense to do it right away so we still had everyone's attention! Honestly, we got up there, and I actually realized at that moment I had no idea the "right" way to do it. I guess you are supposed to cut it together, and we totally didn't do that—oops! I did, however, know to smash it in his face :)!







After cake cutting, we had dinner. The food was amazing! So many people told us how awesome the food was. We had servers pass appetizers during cocktail hour, which included tomato bruschetta with melted fontina, chipotle southwest chicken pinwheels, prosciutto-wrapped melon balls, eggplants discs with garlic & herb ricotta mousse, herb & goat cheese cheesecake bites, and blue cheese & applewood bacon pops. I got a chance to sample a few of the appetizers, and they were delicious! For our buffet dinner, we served a mixed greens salad, Mediterranean pasta salad, fresh fruit, seasonal veggies, mashed potatoes, chiptole-rubbed pot roast with au jus, and herb & garlic-marinated grilled chicken breast with creamy sundried tomato basil. SO. good.

















Shelbie, Megan, and Brett also gave their speeches while everyone was finishing dinner.









Zac and I snuck outside after dinner with our photographer and videographer to take some sunset pictures. Anyone having an upcoming wedding: I would highly suggest finding a little time during the sunset to fit this in!! After that, we went back to the reception and watched our "Love Story" video that our videographer shot earlier in the summer.









After watching the video, we did the traditional dances. Zac and I had our first dance to "Free" by Zac Brown Band. Before the wedding, we were really having a tough time coming up with a first dance song. Our "song" as I mentioned yesterday, is "Makin' Plans" by Miranda Lambert. We already used that during the ceremony, so we wanted to do something different for the first dance. I, of course, wanted something folksy, but that's not exactly Zac's type of music. We had gone to a Zac Brown Band concert earlier that summer (we both LOVE ZBB, and they are Zac's favorite band), and while they were playing "Free", we both kind of just looked at each other and said this is perfect!









For the father-daughter dance, Megan actually performed for us (again!) by singing and playing guitar to "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac. For the mother-son dance, Zac and Cory danced to "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.





After the dances, we did the bouquet toss, but decided to forego the other traditions like garter toss, dollar dance, etc. Then, it was time to party it up and dance! I had such a fun time at the reception and we had multiple people tell us it was one of the most fun weddings they've been to, which makes me so happy! I'll leave you guys with a few of my favorite photos from the dance floor!





























Stay tuned—tomorrow I'm sharing some of my favorite wedding party photos!

Photos by Nikki Moore Photography


Check out all Kali's Wedding Week posts!
Day 1: Wedding Details & Vendors
Day 2: The Ceremony
Day 3: The Reception
Day 4: My Favorite Wedding Photos
Day 5: Wedding Video

No comments :

Post a Comment

SMK + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio